Healthy, Hearty, Yummy: Spaghetti Squash Fritters
Looking for a healthful meal for your next book club gathering? Look no further than this recipe for Spaghetti Squash Fritters from the bestselling book, “Weeknight Paleo” by Julie and Charles Mayfield. Full of flavor yet free of gluten, grains, and dairy, this nutritious entree combines vitamin-packed spaghetti squash with savory spices for a dish that’s delightfully good—and good for you.
Whip up this recipe in no time and serve with Sutter Home Riesling—or Sutter Home Pinot Grigio. Your hungry, healthy crowd will thank you!
Recipe Ingredients: (Makes about 1 Dozen Fritters)
Prep Time: 10 Minutes (Not including time to cook spaghetti Squash) Total Time: 25 Minutes:
- 3 cups cooked spaghetti squash, strands separated (from 1 large squash)
- 1/3 cup of arrowroot strach/flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 to 2 tablespoons coconut oil or cooking fat of your choice
- Place the squash in a large bowl. If it's too moist, wrap it in some paper towels and squeeze out the access liquid
- Add the arrowroot starch/flour, salt green onion, and bacon and stir to combine well
- Whisk the eggs in a small bowl, then add them to the squash mixture and stir to combine
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add enough oil to coat the pan, and when it's hot, spoon the squash mixture to form fritters of your desired size; ¼ cup per fritter works well
- When the fritters are crispy and browned on one side, about 5 minutes, use a spatula to flip them and continue cooking on the other side until crisped, about 5 minutes longer. Serve hot.
A few variations to the recipe:
- Make it a meal! Mix some already cooked chicken into the fritters and you a delightful one-dish supper
- You can also add about a tablespoon of hot sauce to the mixture for tangy Buffalo-style fritters
If you like this recipe, try this one for Ham, Leek and Gruyere Frittata from our Sutter Home Kitchen Series: http://bit.ly/2sIvFbZ