RECIPES: Recipe Details
I was born and raised in Western New York State where the Italian community greatly influenced the cusine and the culture. Living in Missouri, Illinois, Louisiana, and finally settling in Colorado, I was introduced to many pork entrees. I created, tested and tasted a wide variety of pork dishes. I have created this recipe for family and friends. It is often requested because it is "kid friendly" and appeals to the more sophistocated adult palate. It has been well received by many people in many states.
1 grapefruit, juiced and sectioned
1 cup chopped watermelon
2/3 cup diced shallots, divided
1/4 cup banana peppers, chopped
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
4 tablespoons course ground pepper, divided
3 tablespoons sea salt
1 cup fresh spinach
1/4 cup fresh parsley
3 tablespoons dillweed
3 tablespoons chives, snipped
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 pound bacon, diced
8 ounces fresh button mushrooms, sliced
4 garlic cloves, peeled
12 tablespoons butter, divided
2 pounds bulk Italian sweet sausage
1 large granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
6 ciabatta or rye rolls
2 tomatoes, sliced
6 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shaved
Prep time: 45 minutes
Prep temperature: medium-high
Grilling time: 20 minutes
Grilling temperature: medium
1. Turn grill onto medium-high heat. Combine first 5 ingredients, keeping grapefruit juice aside. Put all in cooler or refrigerator.
2. Combine the next 6 ingredients in food processor until a smooth spread is formed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place in cooler or refrigerator.
3. Place an 8" or 10" cast iron skillet on the grill. Cook bacon until browned but not crispy. Remove bacon to paper towels and set aside. Drain bacon grease from skillet.
4. In same skillet melt 1/4 cup butter. Add garlic cloves. Add mushrooms and saute to a medium-dark color. Leave garlic cloves in skillet, remove mushrooms, dice and combine in large bowl with bacon. Remove skillet from grill and add remaining butter. Set aside.
5. Reduce grill temperature to medium. Add sausage, apple, 2 tablespoons pepper, 1 tablespoon salt, paprika, bread crumbs, grated parmesan cheese, grapefruit juice, and egg to mushroom-bacon mix. Combine and form into 6 burgers. Set aside until ready to grill.
6. Begin grilling burgers, 6 minutes on each side. Return skillet containing garlic and butter to the grill to keep warm. Grill burgers an additional 3 minutes per side. Just prior to removing from grill, place 1 tablespoon of shaved parmesan cheese on each burger. Spread equal amounts of spinach mixture on top of each roll. Dunk bottom of each roll into warm garlic butter. Spoon watermelon mixture on bottom of each roll. Place burgers on top and one slice tomato on each burger. Place top of bun over tomato. Slice in half and serve.
After having tasted my numerous pork recipes, my daughter named me "Queen of the Oinkers"...hence the recipe name!