RECIPES: Recipe Details
The Baconpalooza Burger
3 lbs of Black Angus ground beef 80/20
1 lb of Medium Sliced Bacon
6 Portabello Mushroom Caps
12 oz Crumbled Blue Cheese
1 Large Vidalia Onion
2 Cups of Flour
4 tbsp Olive Oil
2 cups of Milk
4 cups of Vegetable Oil
2 tsp of Salt
4 tbsp of Pepper
2 tbsp of Paprika
1 Chipotle Pepper
2 tbsp of Honey
1 cup of Honey Chipotle infused Barbeque Sauce
6 Sweet Onion Butter Buns
1. First of all you will dice up a chipotle pepper and mix with one cup of barbeque sauce. Add 2 tbsp of honey and simmer over low heat on grill.
2. You will start by making the onion straws. First cut the onion in half vertically and slice paper thin strings of onion. Then soak the onion in milk for no less than 30 minutes. Make a mixture of flour, salt, pepper, and paprika and dredge the onion slices in the mix. Then fry them in the vegetable oil on a medium heat. Once slighty golden brown drain them on some paper towels and set aside.
3. Next we are making the hamburger patties. Dice up 3 strips of bacon for each .5 lb of burger into .5 inch by .5 inch pieces. Then mix the hamburger meat and bacon together being careful not to overwork the meat.
Form .5 lb patties and pepper the outside of them.
4. Now for cooking. Brush olive oil on the portabello caps and salt and pepper both sides. Then take to the grill. Brush olive oil on the grates of the medium heated grill and put the hamburger patties and portabello mushroom caps above the direct heat. Grill burgers to Medium Well. Five minutes before taking out the burgers and portabello caps, flip the mushrooms upside down and fill the inside with crumbled blue cheese. Slightly butter the Sweet Onion Butter Buns and put on the grill until they are slightly toasted.
5. Last step is assembly. Layer from bottom to top the bottom piece of the bun, hamburger pattie, blue cheese filled portabello cap, fried onion straws, drizzle the homemade barbeque sauce over the onion straws, and add the top bun.
6.. Open wide and enjoy!
This burger has a lot of layers of taste but is unbelieveably delicious! My wife and I enjoy it with a nice glass of Pinot Grigio.