RECIPES: Recipe Details
Steak House Burger with Spicy Tomatillo Salsa
This burger offers the succulent flavor of beef soaked in cabernet, mushrooms, shallots, and garlic, and then finshes with a fresh and spicy flare from a tomatillo and chipotle salsa.
Steak House Burger with Spicy Tomatillo Salsa.
1. 2 pound ground chuck
2. 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
3. 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
4. 1 lb. fresh tomatillos, quartered
5. 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper
6. 1 tablespoon cilantro
7. 1 tablespoon lime juice
8. 2 cups mushrooms, coarsely chopped
9. 2 medium sized shallots, coarsely chooped
10. 4 cloves of garlic, minced
11. 1 cup Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon
12. 1 ½ cup Caesar Salad croutons
13. 6 thick slices of tomato
14. 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
** Vegetable oil for coating grill
15. 6 Kaiser Rolls
16. 6 slices Swiss cheese
1. Season 2 pounds of ground chuck with 2 tablespoons of Kosher salt and 2 tablespoons of black pepper. 2. Place 1 pound tomatillos, 1 tablespoon of chipotle pepper, 1 tablespoon cilantro, and 1 tablespoon lime juice in food processor. Pulse 5 – 7 times to combine ingredients and coarsely chop tomatillos. 3. Turn grill on high heat. Place large, non-stick skillet on grill until it becomes hot. 4. Combine chopped mushrooms, chopped shallots, and garlic in skillet. Sauté for approximately 1 minute. 5. Add Cabernet to skillet. Continue to sauté until volume of wine is reduced by greater than 50%, approximately 3-5 minutes. Reduce heat of grill to medium-low and cover. 6. Strain contents of skillet to remove excess wine. Transfer to mixing bowl containing ground chuck. 7. Add crushed croutons to mixing bowl with ground chuck, and mix to combine all ingredients. Form into 6 burger patties. 8. Season 6 slices of tomato with dried basil. Set aside. 9. Coat grill grates with vegtable oil. 10. Place burger patties on grill and cook covered for 6 minutes on first side. 11. Flip burgers. Place slices of tomatoes and rolls (inside surface down) on the edge of the grill away from direct flames. Cover and grill for 5 minutes. 12. Remove rolls from grill. Place 1 slice of Swiss cheese and then one slice of tomato on each burger. Grill for one more minute. 13. Transfer burgers to rolls. Top with spicy tomatillo salsa. Serve immediately. Makes 6 burgers.