RECIPES: Recipe Details
Masala Burgers with Fresh Mango Chutney
1 large Mango, slightly under-ripe
2 ounces fresh ginger root
1 large clove garlic
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1-3/4 pounds freshly ground beef chuck (12% fat)
1/3 pound ground pork
2 tablespoons mild curry paste (not powder) such as Pataks
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
Vegetable oil for brushing grill rack
6 whole wheat Hamburger Buns
6 tablespoons soft Butter
1/2 cup chiffonade of fresh Mint Leaves
1. Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover or pre-heat a gas grill to medium-high.
2. Peel and pit the mango. Cut flesh into 1/4â€ dice. Peel and mince ginger to make 1/4 cup. Peel and mince garlic. Place mango, ginger, garlic, sugar, vinegar, salt and garam masala in a 1-quart saucepan. Place on the hottest part of the grill; bring contents to a boil and cook for 12 minutes or until mango appears soft and translucent. Pour into small bowl and set aside to chill.
3. For patties, in a medium bowl, place ground chuck and pork, add curry paste and salt and combine loosely with a fork. Form into six patties the diameter of the rolls, making a slight depression in the middle of the patties to compensate for the tendency to bulge during cooking.
4. Brush vegetable oil over grill rack. Grill patties with top closed for 4 minutes; turn and grill 4 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160Âº.
5. During the last 2 minutes of grilling the patties, place rolls cut side down on the grill to toast.
6. To assemble burgers, spread bottoms of rolls with a thin layer of butter; distribute equal amounts of mint chiffonade. Add patties; top with equal amounts of the mango chutney. Close with tops of rolls and serve.