RECIPES: Recipe Details
ASIAN SHRIMP SLIDERS WITH BACON JAM AND CRISPY POTATO STRINGS
I love Asian shrimp toast appetizers and bacon! Here’s my revved up version by creating shrimp sliders with a spicy bacon jam topping with the extra crunch of crispy potato strings. You’ve gotta try it! Your tastebuds will thank you.
2 cups coarsely chopped raw shrimp (about 2 pounds)
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup shredded carrots
¼ cup chopped parsley
½ cup chopped scallions
1 cup plain Panko breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seed oil
2 teaspoons grated ginger
¼ cup Chenin Blanc Sutter Home Wine
2 large eggs slightly beaten
1 ½ teaspoons coarse salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
12 slider buns
¼ cup melted butter to brush on buns for toasting
12 pieces of Romaine Lettuce to fit sliders
SPICY BACON JAM
1 package thin sliced bacon (prefer Oscar Mayer)
½ cup chopped scallions
1 tablespoon Korean ground red pepper
¼ cup dark brown sugar
¼ cup honey (prefer Golden Blossom)
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
*Korean ground red pepper can be found in Asian and Korean markets
You could substitute an equal part of red cayenne pepper and sweet paprika to achieve a similar taste
CRISPY POTATO STRINGS
1 large potato
1 cup rice flour
2 cups Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/8 teaspoon Korean ground red pepper
Prepare spicy bacon jam
1. Preheat outdoor grill to medium high heat. Cut bacon into ½ inch dice and cook in medium size fireproof nonstick skillet until crisp 8-12 minutes. Remove bacon with slotted spoon and drain almost all the bacon drippings leaving 1-2 tablespoons.
2. Return the skillet to the grill and add ½ cup chopped scallions, 1 tablespoon Korean ground red pepper, 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, dark brown sugar, honey and crisp bacon. Heat until bacon jam is syrupy about 2-3 minutes and remove from heat into a small bowl.
Fry potato strings
1. Place olive oil in a large fireproof nonstick pot on the grill to 350 degrees F. Meanwhile, shred potato into thin strings with a hand mandolin and dredge in rice flour just before frying. Shake off excess flour (strainer works best) and fry potato strings in the hot oil in small batches (so the oil does not bubble over pot) until crisp 5-8 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle potato strings with 1 teaspoon salt mixed with 1/8 teaspoon Korean ground red pepper just before serving on sliders.
Cook and assemble sliders
1. To make the sliders, combine shrimp, chopped celery, shredded carrots, chopped scallions, parsley, plain Panko breadcrumbs, roasted sesame seed oil, Chenin Blanc Sutter Home wine, slightly beaten eggs, chopped garlic, grated ginger, 1 ½ teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper. Divide the seasoned shrimp mixture into 12 equal portions and form the portions into patties slightly larger than the buns. Refrigerate patties for 15-30 minutes if possible before grilling to firm up.
2. Preheat an outdoor grill on medium high heat. Spray grill rack or grill pan with nonstick spray before using. Cook the shrimp patties turning once about 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked.
3. Brush melted butter on the buns and toast slightly until light golden brown 1-2 minutes.
To assemble the sliders, place a lettuce leaf on the bottom of each bun. Then place the cooked shrimp patties on top of the lettuce. Spoon a generous amount of the spicy bacon jam and place crispy seasoned potato strings on top. Add the bun tops and serve. Makes 12 sliders